“Spend your money on the things money can buy. Spend your time on the things money can’t buy.”
(The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Haruki Murakami)
But do we really spend our time properly? We want to get more, live more, feel more… always into less time, hurrying and hurrying through our lives. But the soul needs slowness. A real feeling needs slowness. We need to think before we say, do, react. So, I hope we can learn to slow down, to live little, to get more pleasure and more meaning from the things we do and decisions we make. This’s my New Year’s resolution. I also want to get more health from the food I cook, so these fudgy, rich, chocolate brownies with nuts and caramel contain almost no fat and flour. Well, maybe, less might actually equal more!;)) Happy New Year 2016!
- 100 g dark chocolate (70-85% cocoa contains) | 0.9 cup
- 45 g butter!!! | 0.6 cup
- 100 g sugar | 0.5 cup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp flour!!!
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100 g chopped walnuts (or nuts you prefer: almond, cashew, hazelnut etc.) | 0.9 cup
- 0,5 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 150 g store-bought caramels | 5.3 oz
- 3 tbsp cream 25%
- Preheat the oven to 180 C /356 F.
- Break the chocolate into little pieces and put it in a small bowl.
- Add a little boiling water to a saucepan and heat until simmering.
- Suspend the bowl over the simmering water (do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the water)
- Set aside.
- Cream “room temperature” butter and sugar with a mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, chocolate, salt.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and cocoa.
- Add nuts.
- Spread batter in 20 cm baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine in a small saucepan caramels (toffee candies) and cream.
- Add a little boiling water to a large saucepan and heat until simmering.
- Place the saucepan with caramel inside the larger saucepan.
- Stir the caramels together with the cream.
- Add remaining nuts to the caramel.
- Cut a brownie layer in a half (horizontally).
- Pour the caramel mixture over the first brownie layer.
- Place the 2nd layer on top of the 1st layer. Lightly press.
- Sprinkle remaining caramel and walnuts on top of the brownie layer.
Enjoy your Skinny Chocolate Caramel Brownies with Nuts and stay fit;))